Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Royal Treatment

Well, I just returned from my annual sojourn to the Outer Banks and imagine my surprise when I ran across some bottles of sugar sweetened RC Cola at Island Spice and Wine in Avon, NC. Seems like a long way to go to get a real sugared Cola, eh? Well, I didn't travel half as far as this classic Southern Cola did. Apparently, this RC Cola, (made with real sugar) is imported from Peru of all places. Is it really that hard for an American RC plant to add sugar, rather than HFCS? It must be, judging from the distance this Cola had to travel to reach me.

Regardless of the origins of this classic Southern treat I must say that I was pleased to have come across it. It has a strong, clean Cola scent accented by the fine carbonation. There is a nice bite to the carbonation in this version of RC that enhances the Cola flavour. The sweetness is well balanced and not heavy in the least. There is a bit of a dryness to the taste that I haven't noticed in other Colas, but it does nothing to detract from the experience. It has a nice, sugar sweetened aftertaste with a clean Cola undertone. All in all, this is what a good Cola should taste like and American bottlers should take note. This is RC Cola as it was when I was a kid, minus that heavy geometrically pleasing, many sided bottle. It's too bad I didn't have a Moon Pie.

It's too bad folks can't find this version of glass bottled Royal Crown Cola everywhere. It would certainly be a good seller.

Ingredients:
Carbonated Water
Sugar
Caramel Color
Phosphoric Acid
Caffeine
Natural Flavors
Gum Acacia
Citric Acid

Imported RC Cola gets a 7/10


Technorati Tags:
, ,

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Ronald Turlington said...

Sounds delicious! I'm heading down to Nags Head in a couple of weeks, so I'll definitely make sure to stop at Island Spice and Wine.

Also, just wanted to say I enjoy reading your stuff (particularly your implicit fight against high fructose corn syrup). Keep it coming!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Michael Jarrell said...

Island Spice and Wine might be a bit far out of the way, since it's in Avon. Fear not, tho! There is an ice cream shop just down the road in Kitty Haw (I believe). I cannot, for the life of me remember their name but they are on the left hand side of the road as you head south. The building is a wooden, rustic style structure. They have a lot premium sodas in there and are worth a stop! Thanks for stopping in!

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bottle you bought was not from Peru. It was bottled in West Jefferson, NC. They were running low on branded RC caps, and they found some that had originally been made to be sent to Peru. They bought the "Peru" caps and used them (since they did say "RC Cola") instead of unmarked bottle caps.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Well, that's a relief! I'd hate to think we were so bad off in this country that we to import staples like RC Cola!! Thanks for the heads up!

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Marie Chase said...

Thanks for this blog posst

4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home