Sunday, July 09, 2006

Good Time Cheerwine!

Let me preface this by saying that I do not care for cherry flavoured Soda's, in general. I do like the REAL Dr. Pepper made in Plano, Texas but I dislike Cherry Cokes of any stripe. Such is not the case with Cheerwine, tho! This is a really nice Soda and it makes your tastebuds happy to have gone along for the ride! Cheerwine comes in cans, PET bottles and my favourite...glass. The glass bottles sport the Real Sugar logo and that alone makes it a special treat. It's not mass produced swill relying on HFCS for sweetness.

I picked this one up in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, which figures since the company that produces it is a North Carolinian Company, the Carolina Beverage Company. I'm sure glad I found this bottle of Cheerwine, too. All I had run across until I arrived in Avon, NC and stopped at the BP there, was the Diet version of the drink and I do not do Diet in any form.

The first thing that hits you when you open the bottle is the cherry scent, it's a nice scent reminiscent of maraschino with just the slightest hint of vanilla. The carbonation is nice and bubbly and not a distraction from the Soda. Cheerwine has a nice reddish colour which they term as burgundy on t heir website. I won't disagree too much. It's a nice, pleasant colour and complements the well balanced flavour and sweetness. Cheerwine strikes a good balance between flavour and sweetness, not relying greatly on either to carry the day. It has a light cherry flavour and vanilla tones that make this a pleasure to drink. It makes your tastebuds happy!

The aftertaste is one of sweet cherry with just a hint of what tastes like vanilla. This is vastly superior to other cherry flavoured sodas I have tasted, especially the Cherry Cokes. The bottle even adds to the experience, it is well designed and complements the beverage inside. If you run across one of these do yourself a favour and get one, you won't be disappointed!

Ingredients:
Carbonated Water
Sugar
Caramel Color
Phosphoric Acid
Sodium Benzoate
Caffeine
Citric Acid
Natural and Artificial Flavors
FD&C Red 40

Cheerwine get a whopping 9/10!

Technorati Tags:
, , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I'm a GA native going to school in North Carolina, and I have to admit...Cheerwine is a NC phenomenon I just do NOT get. It coats your teeth in sugar and the carbonation seems to escape in one explosive bust when you open it. unless you chug it, it goes flat.

My favorite soda is Jamaican-style ginger beer or Red Rock cola, to give you an idea of what my ideal sweetness is though. So....cheerwine makes me wince, hahaha.

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home