Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Boylan's Cane Cola

I have been very very impressed with Boylan's Root Beer and Red Birch Beer, so it wasn't a hard to convince myself to try their Natural Cane Cola. I had already had Boylan BottleWorks Cane Cola once before, so I figured I'd try the Natural line version of it. Now, the Bottleworks version of Cane Cola should by all rights be called Cinnamon Cola since that is the dominant flavour in that version. The Natural version is a totally different Soda with a distinctive taste that is all its own.

The Natural Cane Cola has a nice and easily identifiable cola aroma, something too few "cola's" actually have. The carbonation is soft and doesn't add a lot to the equation. The taste is...interesting. It tastes like a cola with lemon or lime added to it, (something I have liked since I was a kid overseas, experiencing Coke with lemon added). The one drawback to adding real citrus, (as Boylan's does) is that it gives the Soda a "flat" quality, despite the carbonation. The citrus element also detracts from the cane aspect, in fact it covers any cane flavour that might be present.

The cinnamon is almost nonexistent compared to the BottleWorks version...and that's a good thing, in my opinion, I didn't care much for that version of the Cane Cola. I enjoyed Boylan's Natural Cane Cola, altho I feel the name is misleading. It really should be called Cola with Limon, or something. If you are looking for a good alternative to the mass produced Cola with Lemon or Lime that is oddly popular now, then you should try Boylan's instead. They do it much better than the "Big Boys" in the Soda community!

The only problem I have with this Cane Cola is...where's the Cane, guys? I can't taste the cane in this one. Other than that, it's a good cola!

Ingredients:
Carbonated Water
Cane Sugar
Pure Essential Oils of Lemon, Lime and Cinnamon
Extracts of Bourbon Vanilla and Cola Nut
Caramel Color (From Cane Sugar)
Other Natural Flavors and Spices
Phosphoric Acid
Caffeine (From Coffee)

Calories:160 per bottle

The folks at Boylan's did a good job on this Natural line product!

Boylan's Natural Cane Cola scores a 6.5/10

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I to am a fan..was at Reasors the other day and bought a case of the Cane Sugar Root beer..have been drinking it for awhile now...so don't spread the word too loud or it will always be out of stock ;)

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy the taste too, but I'm glad you explained the flatness of it - I thought maybe I'd just bought a bad batch. Wish it were fizzier, that's what makes sodapop worth drinking!

3:00 AM  
Blogger Jahan Hassan said...

Love the taste...

4:28 AM  
Blogger Jahan Hassan said...

Love the taste...

4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home