Saturday, January 28, 2006

Boylan's Creamy Red Birch Beer


Boylan's Creamy Red Birch Beer
"Philly Style"

Ingredients:
Carbonated water
Cane Sugar
Pure Birch Oils
Natural Flavors
Vanilla
Natural Yucca Extract
Vanillin
Citric Acid
Caramel Color
Red 40
Sodium Benzoate (Preserves Freshness)



Some people might say that this particular review belongs over at The Root Beer Blog. Many Root Beer fans class the Birch Beers right alongside Root Beers, due to their similarity in tastesI assume. I'm not one of these folks, while Birch Beer is reminiscent of some Root Beers, and Birch even appears as an ingredient in some Root Beers and Root Beer recipes, I cannot class it as a Root Beer. It is, to me a Soda that tastes similar to a Root Beer but stands on its own as a robust Soda. That's doubly so with Boylan's.

Boylan's Creamy Red Birch Beer is a first for me. This is the first Birch Beer Soda which I have had that I have really enjoyed. It is a tasty beverage. The colour is a bit strange to me but not something that puts me off and it is totally offset by the taste. The taste of the cane comes straight out at you with this soda. And the birch flavour is great, it meshes very well with the vanilla, which is not at all overpowering. This is just a good Soda to kick back with and enjoy. With a formula that's over 100 years old and having the history that it does this is one good Soda!

It's a winner in my book. And, according to the folks at Boylan's Bottle Works the one beverage that kept their company going since the 1930's was their Birch Beer. This makes it a double winner in my book. This kind of longevity bespeaks a fine beverage and good quality. The CEO of Boylan Bottle Works, Mr. Ron Fiorina , who took over his grandfathers business and expanded it to include all of its present lines and has turned the brand from a Northern New Jersey staple into a nationwide premium beverage, has done a superior job of growing their family's product while maintaining premium beverage quality. Too many companies mess that up. The Fiorina's don't. My hat's off to them!

Boylan's Brand, and their Creamy Red Birch Beer are premium brand soda and get a bubbling 8.5/10

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where in Indiana are you? I live in Indianapolis and I have never been able to find Boylan's pop anywhere. Where have you found it?

12:02 PM  
Blogger Michael Jarrell said...

I have found it at Trader Joe's in Castleton before. It's also been available at Whole Foods.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have it in Leominster Mass. baby, it's wicked good. It's not as sharp as the otha ones, good flavor.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home