Friday, February 03, 2006

A Trip To DogPatch


Well, the folks down at Al Capp's DogPatch have gone and done it now. They've started exportin' Kickapoo Joy Juice and let me tell you, it certainly brings back the memories. This yellow/green, lemon lime concotion not only takes you back to a better time in soda history it does it via the combined ingredients of HFCS and/or sugar and caffeine. This reminds me of what Mountain Dew used to look and taste like when I was a kid.

The Soda is not overly carbonated but the taste of citrus, from the grapefruit juice and other citrus flavours just comes right out and is enjoyable. I don't particularly care for grapefruit in most forms but this is one I can get behind. It's not too tart and not overly sweet. The most telling thing I can think of to say is that Kickapoo Joy Juice tastes like the 60's. If the people who overproduce Mt. Dew could taste this then they'd know what they should be shooting for.

Kickapoo Joy Juice is being bottled for the US market by the good people at Real Soda under license from Monarch Beverage Co. and this is a darn good partnership as far as I am concerned. Bringing back Real Soda for real people who remember what a Soda should taste like! It is refreshing, as a good soda should be. The bottle itself is a shout out to retro, as well. No twist off cap here, brother. You have to break out an honest to goodness bottle opener to get at this Soda! Nice touch, guys!

The ingredients listed on the bottle are:
Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar, citric acid, sodium benzoate, concentrated grapefruit juice, caffeine, gum arabic, sodium citrate, natural falvor, EDTA, brominated vegetable oil and yellow 5 and it is 180 calories, if you care about that sort of thing. I don't.

Kickapoo Joy Juice is a blast from the past and well worth the buck or so I shelled out for it. It tastes good from the bottle and in a glass and every sip screams time travel back to a better day in Soda history in my brain. On a hot summer day I'd definitely buy another of these bottles of refreshment over many other Sodas which are currently on the market.

Kickapoo Joy Juice gets a solid 8/10! And that's pretty good!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking up Kickapoo Joy Juice history - when it was first distributed, etc. I remember it showing up in my high school vending machine in the 80's, but wondered how much earlier than that it was really around. I MISS IT!!! Glad to see others who remember it so fondly. May have to place one of those on-line orders soon. Thanks for the comments, Michael.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Michael Jarrell said...

As I recall from some research I did on Kickapoo, it showed up around the mid-60's. I certainly remember it from when I was a kid back then. I was astonished to find out that it has a huge market in South East Asia! Hopefully we will see a return to mass markets here in the states.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can remember getting "KPJJ" in a gallon jug with a pump on the top and it was 1 full pump per 8oz. of ice cold water!!!!That would have been around 1961 or 62 if my memory is working right. I used to love mtn dew after "KPJJ" went off the shelf (around the same time that "Fizzies" went off the market) I found the bottle today and took a great trip back in time. Glad there is a local supplier... Dont think I am quite ready to pay over $100 for a case of 24 bottles!!!!
Thanks for the info on your site!!

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home