Friday, September 04, 2015

Born On The Bayou

For the Labour Day Weekend I have a Soda from the South. Swamp Pop Noble Cane Cola, from Lafayette, Louisiana by way of Cost Plus World Market in Carmel, Indiana. I had hoped to pick up one of Swamp Pop's Root Beers, but alas they were not in stock. Fortunately, they did have their Cane Sugar Sweetened Noble Cola and a couple of other flavours on the shelf, so I availed myself of these and the Cola came up first in the rotation.
   I'm really looking forward to this. Been a while since I've had a tasty Cola based Soda. And I must say I really like the retro styled label. It adds a nice touch to the overall feel. Also, a church key is required to open it, it's not a twist off.
   The aroma, when first opened, is reminiscent of nothing so much as a old candy store from my youth. A mixture of scents that beckons one inside, sweet and spicy. It has a nice carbonation fizz and a head that lingers, like a good Root Beer.
   The initial flavour of the Cola is not one of Cola, as you might expect. It is a hit of sugar and herbaceous flavour, with a fruitiness to it, (possibly the figs shown on the label). Totally unexpected and rather nice. It's got a full mouth feel to it and a sweetness that lingers on the palate.  The flavour lingers on your tongue for quite a while and it's very pleasant. The Cola flavour is subdued, but not lost in the other flavours. For someone like me, who grew up on the Gulf Coast, the flavour brings back memories. This Cola is reminiscent of the flavours of the Coast. The folks at Swamp Pop did a good job with this one. It's unlike any other Cola I've had in recent memory and it's quite tasty to boot. I'll certainly be quite happy to have this Cola again and am looking forward to their other offerings, (which are also uniquely Southern in nature). Now if I can just find their Root Beer somewhere!

Ingredients:

Carbonated Water
Sugar (Louisiana Cane Sugar)
Caramel Color
Natural Flavors
Phosphoric Acid
Sodium Benzoate
Potassium Sorbate
Quillaja Extract

Noble Cane Cola from Swamp Pop gets a 8.5 out of 10.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...


Great web-site!
Excellent thoughtful reviews!

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home